New features?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Hello,

We understand this discussion page isn't visited much, but I will give it a shot anyway. If it doesn't give any results I might move the discussion elsewhere.

We are very interested in hearing from the community what features they would like to see implemented in AutoLoL.

This can be simple features, like pressing a button, or complicated ones like auto shopping.

Let us know and we might implement it some day!

The AutoLoL team.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:17 AM
Edited Nov 30, 2010 at 8:18 AM

A feature that would be nice is a page where you can rate and download others mastery set-ups. :)

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Great idea!

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I really like this idea and would like to gather some input from the community regarding the layout/design of this feature. Anyone that has coding or design skills is encouraged to help.

On Nov 30, 2010 1:17 AM, "memon" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: memon
>
> A feature that would be nice is a page where you can rate and download others mastery set-ups. :)
>
>
Editor
Dec 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I think that is an excellent idea too, but some clarification may be in order. Are we talking about a separate web page that is independent from the autolol application and requires the user to download mastery files using his browser, or a tab in autolol that provides this functionality? I m in favor of the integrated tab. Although properly fitting all the nessesary filters and controls into the autolol window is going to be tough, the backend to a solution like that should be simple. I have worked with php, mysql and json and i m willing to help :)

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM
My idea (and thats all it is so far) is to use WPF's ability to integrate a webpage like an Iframe into the application. This would allow users the ability to browse the page from autolol and/or the web. I am not a top notch designer and what takes a designer 30 minutes to knock out might take me 3 days.... so if anyone wants to contribute and are good with Jquery/UI design please let me know. If you want to help with coding post here. I'm thinking we should gather as many ideas as possible before putting this together.

Also... if you are interested in helping out and don't know how to code but want to... let the AutoLoL Team know. We are always willing to help out and this is a great opportunity to learn.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:13 AM, mymonkey <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I think that is an excellent idea too, but some clarification may be in order. Are we talking about a separate web page that is independent from the autolol application and requires the user to download mastery files using his browser, or a tab in autolol that provides this functionality? I m in favor of the integrated tab. Although properly fitting all the nessesary filters and controls into the autolol window is going to be tough, the backend to a solution like that should be simple though. I have worked with php, mysql and json and i m willing to help :)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (autolol@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email autolol@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

sounds like a great idea! i'm interested in helping in any way, but i don't know any coding.

Editor
Dec 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM

What i was thinking of was a wpf form that makes an http call to the web server, gets data in json form, and presents it to the user. You only have to download the important stuff, and you dont need to worry about web design because your layout will be in wpf.

I tried to do something similar in android using webkit and had had problems with the css (multiple resolutions + i suck at js and css) and also realized that i was better off storing the images and some scripts locally. I could tackle creating a more decent gui using android sdk, so all i really needed was the data. It was only a suggestion. Either way, i ll help in any way i can.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Are you talking about a service? That would have my preference as well I guess, but I'm not sure if we have all the resources available to take that route.

Editor
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:31 PM

what resources would that be? maybe i can help with those? The service is pretty easy to setup in php & mysql considering there are very nice one line json encoders. Gson for java is a json decoder that uses reflection to construct a java object from json. I bet there is one for c# as well.

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Since we've developed everything in .net so far, I think it would be best to see if it's possible to make this feature in .net as well. Meaning we'd use WCF, asp.net and sql server (2008?).

That said, with resources I ment a server we can host this stuff on.

Editor
Dec 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I (respectfully) disagree. I m going to take one more chance to convince you guys (without sounding like a stubborn moron, i hope).

First of all, to host this thing you will need a LAMP server, and that is as cheap as it gets. I m pretty sure its cheaper than a .net server.

Second, the tools i am suggesting are tried and tested.
Json is what google uses for a lot of its projects. Its simple, it can handle complex structures easily and adds very little overhead. WCF can handle json as well, although i m not sure it can do so as "automagically" as the reflection-based public domain/gpl-ed libs you can use. But either way it should be simple enough to construct a c# object using a json string and then use the object to fill your form.
SQL server would be an overkill for a database that will have 2-3 tables at most. Using php, i m guessing it will take 10-20 lines of code to query the server and create an object and then 1 more line to convert it into a json string.

My point is that what i m suggesting is actually pretty simple and flexible. Both on the server and client side. To prove my point i am even willing to write the service on my own lamp server this weekend so you can try it out. In fact you are free to use my server until it gets enough hits for the provider to demand more money from me, but that would also be a problem if you built the thing on a .net server. I think autolol is quite successful so i consider that a possibility. Or you can play it Riot style and just let the service go down because you have too many users :)

Again i hope i m not coming off like a complete moron. If this conversation stops being what you would consider constructive, you have my blessing to tell me to shut up...

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM

There's nothing wrong with a discussion, I even encourage you to do so!

I'm confident that the tools you mention are super awesome, but for everything you mention there's a .Net alternative. I'm not saying those are better, it's just that using different techniques in a project isn't a good practise. So I would like to keep using .Net whenever possible.

A LAMP server is indeed cheaper than a Windows server, although we (me and willowsticks) already both have a Windows server available. We'd just need to find out if we're able to use them bandwidth wise. I do have a PHP/MySQL server available but will only use them if there's no other possibility (see above).

Ps. I don't see how SQL server would be overkill btw, it's just a database like any other.

Pps. WCF can handle JSON and mapping it to object very well.

Editor
Dec 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Fair enough. Its a great opportunity for me to learn some .net then.